After a mixed Bank Holiday weekend of weather locally the good news is that the forecast is set fair for tonight with sunny spells and light winds. So get down to the Prom for Ride The Lights, now a Blackpool institution and one of the most popular participation exercise events in the Fylde calendar.
The promenade will be completely traffic-free from 7pm to welcome thousands of cyclists who get a special sneak peak of the Blackpool Illuminations before the official Switch-On. This year sees the addition of British Cycling this year, with information and entertainment for cyclists to watch and participate in at the Ride the Lights on the Blackpool Tower Festival Headland.
Activities this year include:-
- Live entertainment and music from the Ride the Lights and Radio Wave unit throughout the night
- British Cycling Go Ride Zone – Bring the kids along so they can get a taste of British Cycling’s development programme for young people with their Go Ride Coaches. The programme provides a fun and safe way for young riders to enjoy the world of cycling and a platform to improve bike handling skills.
- MTB Stunt Show – The Extreme Mountain Bike Show is the UK & Europe’s number one Mountain Bike, Trials/BMX demonstration Team lead by the Multiple British and European Mountain Bike Trials Champion Danny Butler. There’s a taster of what you can expect here.
- Watt bike Challenge – A fantastic opportunity to test your speed against others around the country. Each participant rides 250 metres, the equivalent of one lap of a velodrome. The time is recorded and entered onto the leader board if you reach the top 10 in your category.
- British Cycling Pop-Up – The British Cycling team will be on hand with lots of information on their various programmes such as Breeze, Ride Social, Go Ride and Guided Rides.
- CJ Cycles return as bike doctors and there are bike demos from Ridgeback Kids and Shimano STEPS
Blackpool Pleasure Beach will once again be taking part in the event, giving riders the opportunity to cycle through the park where they will be greeted by their resident DJ blasting out the tunes.
Cllr Gillian Campbell, Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “Ride the Lights just grows and grows each year and it’s fantastic to see lots more activity as part of the event. We are delighted that British Cycling have added to the event bringing some amazing events and activity for everyone to enjoy on the night.”
Check www.visitblackpool.com/ridethelights before you set off tonight for updates and have a great time.
Show Comments (0)