This fourth iteration of international group exhibition and residency Ride Your Pony is coming to Blackpool. RYP has received support from Arts Council England and offers paid opportunities to 26 artists across the UK.
“The name is inspired by this song which I found and archived in a late loved ones record collection.
It made me really cheery when I heard it and I loved the idea of getting on your pony, riding around and doing whatever you fancy in life which I’ve tried to tie into the ethos of RYP!|”
-Marie Jones, Founding Director and Curator Ride Your Pony, Artist, Warrington.
26 successful participants will be selected and invited to create a piece of work to exhibit in response to a lucky dip letter of the alphabet. The brief asks the participants to use their letter which they receive in the post as either an object within their work or as a starting point for them to begin from.
Participants will become part of a growing network of RYP alumni. As a legacy, the work of the artists in this cohort can go on to further physical exhibitions and digital and archive material will be compiled. You can find our more about previous RYP exhibitions and projects on their website.
The Blackpool exhibition will take place across Abingdon Studios Project Space and Window Gallery partnerships in the heart of Blackpool Town Centre.
26 successful participants will be selected and invited to create a piece of work to exhibit in response to a lucky dip letter of the alphabet.
Ride Your Pony offers participants the opportunity to:
- Exhibit with people from different backgrounds or people that would never normally come together, (e.g. an architect and a dressmaker) as well as with international participants; creating a piece of work which isn’t for a client or has to have a specific outcome – except for your own experimentation and pleasure.
- For multidisciplinary artists to experiment outside of their usual ways of working or try a new technique.
- Be paid an exhibition fee and engage with a wider network of participating artists and creatives.
- Have work professionally documented and showcased in Blackpool’s leading independent contemporary art venue.
Recognising the impact faced by artists throughout Covid-19, the Blackpool iteration enables RYP to pay each participating artist an exhibition fee as well as paying their new team:
- Marie Jones, RYP Director and Curator, Warrington
- Garth Gratrix, RYP Curator, Blackpool
- Kerry Tenbey, RYP Assistant Curator, Blackpool
How to Enter
Visit the website to find out how to apply for the group exhibition and the residency.
- Entry fee: £0
- Fee offered to participating RYP artists: £200 each
- 2 day digital RYP residency and 4 x collaborations made up of two RYP participants.
- Each selected pair will receive £50 per person for materials as well as the options to deliver a talk or workshop as part of the RYP residency for which there will be a £100 per pair fee.
- Entry Fee: £0
13th August: Deadline for submissions
14-15th August: RYP Team review submissions and select the longlist
17-18th August: Judges select the finalist
20 August: Finalists Announced
21-30 August: Assigned letter of the alphabet distributed to artists
01 Sept – 06 Oct: Artists making/engagement period
07-14th Oct: Artists to send their work (supported by RYP) to Blackpool
15th Oct – 19th Oct: Installation of works
21st Oct: Exhibition Opens
TBC: Residency and collaboration dates
Show Comments (0)